Some one rightly said that, to each person the World is the size of his own head. A limitation that stretches as far as Individual thinking & imagination extends. To succeed in any venture it is essential to communicate your ideas. Negotiations are a part of business deals. Negotiating a business deal is a complex process arrived at by being prepared. The more you rely on gut feel & spontaineity the more you are likely to fail.
Personality is defined as the characteristic set of behaviors, cognitions, and emotional patterns that evolve from biological and environmental factors. While there is no generally agreed upon definition of personality, most theories focus on motivation and psychological interactions with one’s environment.Human beings have a multi layered personality, more often than not what you see & observe are behavioral nuances acquired & being practiced to get along with the business at hand. What you see is not the entire Personality, as every one is putting his best foot forward.
Meeting some one for the first time for business is a Power game. The more you lose yours the other gains. An ideal situation is to meet as equals. How this can be achieved is as follows :-
- Read about the Company ( business of the person you are going to meet)
- Understand what the business is all about.
- Get as much information about the person you are going to meet for the business deal ( age, schooling ,college,parents,background,siblings, interests,peeves if any )
- Even trivia will help,the more informed you are, the better armed you will feel.
- Dress sharp & be well groomed for the occassion.
- Shake hands firmly while looking the person in the eye. Repeat his introduction “Mr Kumar what a pleasure it is to meet you”.
- If the meeting is at a common place, become territorial, put your car keys, mobile etc on the table in front of you.
- If the meeting is in the Office of the person you are meeting ,do not occupy any territory except the seat /chair offered to you. Keep your hands off the table in your lap. Do not let the other person feel threatened,remember it is his space/office.
- Use humour as it is a powerful tool in today’s stressed work environment. Use self deprecating humour as it un- arms the other person. Practice makes it perfect.
- If common curtesies of tea /coffee /green- tea have not been exchanged initially, wait to spring a surprise & ask for a glass of water mid way during the conversation.It helps in putting your opponent on the backfoot in the manners department.
- Never ask for any personal preference for tea /coffee once the curtesy has not been extended. At a common place be the first mover to extend it.
- Make notes,write down something, it shows you are diligent.
- Practice making diagrams & annotating them, turn the page towards the opponent & ask for clarifications on the steps /process ( a neatly drawn line diagram at the spur of the moment will carry you far as it reflects clarity of thought)
- While laughing at a joke push your head back & expose your throat,it is a primitive gesture of showing you are un- afraid. This will win you friends.
- One way to remain in control is to converse in small sentences & draw response. Do not lose your audience by being long winded.
- Smile often,use your hands effectively when required, in explaining some issue.
- Sit upright ( not up- tight) with your shoulders square & chin up, for heavens sake do not slouch or slump in your seat.
- Nod often if you agree ( every one likes a live feed back ), before voicing a disagreement lace it with ” could we view it differently“, ” I have one more option we can consider“, ” A thought just occured to me while we were discussing” & so on.
- Your voice, its pitch, accent, cadence matters, it reflects on your schooling & educational background.
- Read books as it will add depth to your conversational ability.
Lastly remember, 85 % of all Deals / Negotiations are based on Presentation, Personality & Projection ability & only 15 % on Technical skills